About Me

My photo
I am a Student at Illinois State University studying Arts Technology.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 2: First Week of Classes


Week one of classes is over and done with. Sadly I don’t have any pictures to share with you, but I have plenty to tell. Where to start…well we left off on Sunday I think so I will start with Monday.

Monday:
            9a.m-12:40am- Florence Sketchbook
I woke up for my 9 am class at 8:10 in the morning so I was a little bit flustered, as I got dressed and ready to go. I left the apartment at 8:50 and thought for sure I was going to be late to my first class, turns out that my class was just around the corner a few blocks away so it only took me 5 minutes to get there. I made it on time, and was told that we were to take an assessment test and that the models would be in the room soon. “What?!” I thought…I didn’t know there would be an assessment, or models or any of this, but I did as I was told.
When the models arrived (clothed for those of you thinking otherwise), we were instructed to sketch them, loosely at first then adding more detail, as we got farther along. Now a little bit of background about me…I have taken one 2 drawing classes in my entire life and one of them was in high school. I am not horrible at drawing, but I am by no means a Picasso. I can do well if I have time to make my drawing look nice but I am not very good at quickly sketching, especially people. Needles to say, by the time we were done and met with the teacher I was feeling a little overwhelmed and out of place. Not only were there only like 8 people total in the class, they all seemed to be at intermediate to advanced drawing level where I am still obviously in a basic to intermediate level.
Anyways, this is halfway through the class and I am highly considering dropping/switching the course to something different. My teacher, very nicely suggested that an intermediate drawing class (something a little more studio based) might be a better fit for my skills. I agreed with her and though she said I passed my assessment, I went strait to my apartment to email my advisor.  I met with my advisor and was given a list of other possible courses.

1:30-2:45p.m. Italian 101
After all of this, I was off to my Italian class. This is the farthest building away from my apartment, but is still only about a 10-minute walk. I had some trouble finding it at first because instead of a specific street address, it is a piazza, which is basically an entire building. I had been there before for our orientation meeting but didn’t know where the actual room number was. After wandering for a little bit I finally found it (poorly labeled and hidden behind construction equipment). It was on the fourth floor, there is an elevator, but in Italy typically elevators are meant only for disabled people not lazy people. So I took the stairs…It wasn’t so bad, though the stairway was poorly lit and hard to see, one other observation I have of Italy is that the stairs here are not as steep as some of our stair cases in America, they are typically shallower and more narrow but not steep. So, I made it to my class about 20 minutes early and passed the time until class began.  Class went fine, learned a few phrases but mostly it was pretty average, nothing super special to report on.


Tuesday:
            12-2:30p.m Current Trends in Italian Cuisine
I went into this class with very little expectations; mostly I thought we would be learning to make simple Italian dishes such as bruschetta. I was completely incorrect; some of you may have noticed that I enjoyed this class based on my facebook status the other day. After basic introductions, the teacher says “this class is not to teach you how to make things like bruschetta, or tiramisu, those are too easy” immediately everyone in the class kind of gaped at her in disbelief…”easy?! What?”. Basically, this class is going to be nothing but nutritional, fresh, and delicious meals with extra focus on presentation.
            We went over the syllabus and the dishes we will make over the semester (my mouth was watering the entire time), and then we went to the local market place. This was my first time there and it was amazing. It is a huge fresh/farmers market where you can get anything such as fresh hand made pasta, fish, meat, produce, bread, and wine. The teacher took us to a few different booths and explained a little bit about the local produce and what to look for when buying it. I took several pages of notes, probably misspelling every other word, but it was fast passed and I had to keep up. When we stopped at the bakery, (this place was very crowded all morning, it appears to get a lot of business on a regular basis) the nice young lady behind the counter gave us free samples of a local dish, it was a special kind of bread with a pesto sauce and it was delicious!
            We went through a few other booths then went to the fish market last. Everything looked so fresh and delicious my stomach was growling. It was just past closing time and the nice young man at the fish market gave us a plate of various fried fish to try, I had a piece of shrimp and a piece of calamari…I don’t usually like calamari, but both it and the shrimp were so delicious, my mouth is watering as I am typing this. I will definitely have to go back and get a fishplate for lunch sometime.
           
3-5:30pm Publishing Design
            This was my first graphic design class. It is an upper level class so I had to take an assessment again. The assessment was a packet with some basic questions like when to use vector or raster images ect. Then it had a picture of a simple girl illustration and our task was to re-create or use the same elements as the image. I re-created the girl with ease, I know my way around adobe illustrator like it is the back of my hand (even so, I am sure I only know about 20% of what it can actually do). I think I intimidated the girl sitting next to me (by accident), she looked over at my screen and saw that I was finished and talked to the teacher about taking a lower level course. I felt bad because that is exactly how I felt with my Florence Sketchbook class and it is not a good feeling. Anyways, I finished, and turned it in.  When I got up to turn in the packet, the teacher looked at my work and said “very good…since it is the first day I don’t have anything else so you are free to go.” Needless to say I passed the assessment with flying colors. I was the first one finished and got out of my class at 5pm, 30 minutes early. I used that time to go back to the apartment and cook some dinner/lunch.


6-8:30pm Current Trends in Italian Culture: Pairing Food and Wine
        I walked into this class and I already knew two people, one from ISU, and the other was a girl named Ashley who was in my Florence sketchbook class. Then the teacher came in and we did introductions, the teacher was funny and seems like a nice guy, I think he will be a very entertaining teacher, as if the subject wasn’t interesting enough. We started by going over the syllabus and went over some basics on how to “taste” and examine wine. We started with a white wine (a rather strong one at that, it was like 30%) I enjoyed this wine, it was strong yes, but it was sweet and smelled and tasted of apples.
        After a little more discussion, we started to cook. We made Spaghetti alla Carbonara, basically, we each had a different job in making the food. I was in charge of sautéing the bacon with some garlic for added flavor. Others were in charger of beating eggs, others were in charge of grating cheese, and others were in charger of the pasta. Basically, what we did was once the pasta and bacon were cooked, we used the egg and the cheese to make the sauce. It was creamy, cheesy, and delicious, we paired it with a strong red wine. The red wine was good but the white wine was better and would have been a better fit with the spaghetti. I think this class is going to be really fun.

Wednesday
            11am Permit of stay
This is when I took my forms to the school to file for the permit of stay, a very important step in my stay here. I should know in a couple of weeks when to pick it up or what the next things I need to do. After this, I went to my advisor to pick up my revised schedule…after a couple of meetings and the final decision as to what class to switch to, I finally got a new schedule figured out.

New Schedule

12-2:30pm Professional Blog Design
This is the class that I switched to in place of my Florence Sketchbook class. I got there about 10 minutes early to find that the teacher is late, the schedule on his door said 12:30 where all of the other schedules say 12. After arriving a little late, the teacher opens the door for us. There are 5 students total and all of them are part of some certificate program or something so they have been at LdM for more than a semester and have all been in classes together. Needless to say, everyone else, the other four students and the teacher, know each other, so I am the only one no one really knows anything about. That’s not to bad though; it is the same teacher I have for my Publishing Design so he saw that I was good at illustrator in the previous class.
        As he was going through the syllabus, he was talking about the assessment that we had to do for the course and said “it should be easy, I know all of you can do it, the only one I don’t know for sure is Mary, and I saw her speed through the assessment yesterday so I’m not to worried” that was reassuring…sort of. I think that I should be able to keep up in the class though it is hard to tell after the first day. All in all the course sounds like it will be a lot of fun, and even though I feel a little out of place now, I am sure that will change.

6-7:15pm Italian 101
       That’s right, since my classes changed I had a conflict with my previous Italian class so now I have Italian at 6pm. It isn’t so bad, the teacher was very helpful in getting me caught up and two of the girls in that class are also in my Pairing food and wine class. Looks like it’s going to be an interesting couple of months. I can’t wait.

One thing that I have also noticed about the market and several Italians in general, is how very nice they are. I have seen two instances where there is either a shortage of money for an item or a credit card issue and the owners use an honor system where they basically say “you can bring back the money you owe tomorrow”. Not only is this very trusting, it is also kind…I only hope that the Americans they are being trusting to bring back the money honor their trust. I also notice this kindness with my teachers; they are very polite and understanding of our adjustment to their culture. They are very hospitable and always eager to answer questions even if they don’t have to do with class. I think that the longer I stay here, the more I will enjoy it and the wonderful people.  

Thursday
       I woke up at 11am (stayed up late Wednesday night because I knew I didn’t have class). After showering and eating breakfast, I went out to run some errands. I needed to pick up a text book for both of my cooking classes, and I needed to pick up a couple of things for publishing design, not to mentions some various other things I needed to pick up. I got a little lost but was eventually able to find my way to the two different copy shops that sold the books. Here, instead of a textbook it is more like a compilation of readings and articles that the teacher has printed and bound for students. It was only 15 euro for one book and 20 for the other, maybe American universities should do this also, sure the books don’t look as nice, but I don’t have to pay 150$ for a book I will use 4 times throughout the semester. Seems like a good system to me.
       After getting my books, I stopped by the art supply store to pick up a sketchbook and some pencils for publishing design.  Then I stopped by the shop down the street and picked up a bag to carry my books in, some folders, postcards and a couple of other various supplies.
       I took the stuff back to the apartment then went down stairs and bought some meat, a liter of coke, and some cheese slices, then brought it home and made cheese burgers. They were delicious, I had been graving meat a little bit since I have been eating mostly pasta, I haven’t really bought any meat except for yesterday.
       After lunch I did dishes, swept the hallway, my room, the bathroom, and the kitchen. Then I wiped down the bathroom sink and counters, and did the same with the kitchen…All of this while my laundry was in the washer, so it was a rather productive day.  I didn’t really work on much homework, but it will get done.
       Thursday night, Cat and I walked around a little bit and bought chicken Panini’s for dinner, we stopped on our way back and bought a bottle of Chianti red wine. We ate in the living room and decided to flip through some channels on the T.V. the only ones not in Italian were music stations. They had a lot of eighties re-runs like the Cosby show on, they were in Italian so it just wasn’t the same. We ate, drank wine, and just had a good time until about 12:30am. Then we got ready for bed, I talked to my parents on FaceTime, then went to bed.

Friday:
       This is a day scheduled for homework. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I will be gone on a weekend trip to Pompeii, Capri, and Sorrento, so I have to get all of my work done now. I will probably also go get some groceries sometime today, or at least something to eat for lunch and dinner. Other than that, there really isn’t much planned.  If I end up doing anything fun and exciting today, I will include it in my post about the weekend travels. Caio!

No comments:

Post a Comment